Wednesday, February 22, 2012

On the Cusp

This past weekend, I sat in my garden drinking my coffee. It was still early, the cool morning air gently pushed by the breeze. The sun peeked through the clouds and began to warm the air and earth. The garden is truly coming alive again; spring is on the cusp! I can smell my new pink jasmine and my burgeoning sweet peas. The yellow flowered Aeonium spikes pierce the vista of the garden. And the birds: I hear the squawk and song of the mockingbirds, the chirps and tweets of the finches and sparrows, and the twittering of the hummingbirds. This is my own little piece of heaven.

The garden is coming into its own with only the smallest guidance from me. My nasturtiums and wildflower mix has filled in my two fallow beds with a blanket of orange and purple blooms. The orange and purple reminds me of California hillsides in early spring with their California poppies and purple lupine taking over the landscape. Hopefully, my poppies will bloom soon; I am still waiting for those happy flowers to show up!

I planted the last round of cool season vegetables focusing on carrot and parsnips. The savoy cabbages are large round globes awaiting harvest and the radishes are close to going to seed. I plan to harvest all of them through the month – recipes forthcoming! I also planted some more butterfly bush as a nursery for monarch caterpillars. Sadly, I did not have enough for the little ones to eat this winter and I don’t think I successfully hatched a single butterfly this year. Also in the mix: more butterfly nectar plants grown from seed planted under my Anna Apple. I hope to have sprouts in a couple of weeks!

Nasturtiums in red, orange, and yellow
Purple lupine and daisies
More Flowers!
Sweet peas!!
Savoy cabbage ready for harvest
Pink Jasmine - Love!!
Yellow Aeonium blooms next to butterfly garden
I hope my butterfly nectar flowers fill in soon.
My relaxing patio - I will be adding more pink jasmine for more fragrance!

No comments:

Post a Comment