Tuesday, December 13, 2011

'Tis the Season (December Bloomday)

December is usually a slow time in the garden. Frost warnings have been posted for the inland valleys and it has been unseasonably cold for us near the coast. Time to curl up on the couch in a snuggie, cat on lap, and watch a football game. Nah - I am getting bored with that. Besides, I have a chrysalis, a bona fide pupa of a monarch butterfly! My first sweet little caterpillar survived! And now I find that I have a full-blown, unanticipated caterpillar nursery! I rushed off to the nursery in search of more Butterfly bush/ Butterfly milkweed, but they were all out. I had to satisfy my urge to do something by buying seeds. Will my little babies have enough food to get through their larval stage? I check on them every day. It figures that in my drive to plant nectar plants, I forgot to create a good size shelter for the babies. As soon as it warms up, I am planting those butterfly bushes in spades!

My biggest muncher so far
The nursery
There have been other good signs of the turn of the season. Life goes on and continues even through the cold months.

My nasturtiums are popping up!
Moss in between the pavers
This is what happens when you compost sunflowers
Tangerines, just in time for Christmas
Pomegranate tree turning golden
Plum leaves turning red - will we get fruit this year?
New limes


No comments:

Post a Comment