Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A letter to the Mayor's office

Hi guys-
I just got an email via the google group. It sounds like Mayor Bronconnier has not been able to meet with the CFPC yet, which is unfortunate. The role the CFPC has to play in developing food security in Calgary is vital - and can only be achieved in collaboration with city hall.

I've sent an email to the Mayor's office, urging him to meet with the CFPC. I would appreciate very much if everyone here could take the time to do the same. The email address is themayor[at]calgary.ca I know that you all have busy schedules, but I also believe strongly that the 15 minute time investment is very worthwhile. Here is the message I sent- you are absolutely welcome to simply enclose it in your email with a few words of support, if that is what best fits your schedule.

I would like to emphasize the importance of working with city hall on these issues- I know that there are sometimes differences of opinion, but the best way to find middle ground is to work together and talk it over.


Dear Mayor Bronconnier,

I would first like to congratulate you. It most satisfying to see the City of Calgary taking its first steps to ensure greater food security on behalf of its citizens. Calgary, having been a "have" province for many years now, is in a unique position to set an example as a City that is not afraid of change. There is great economic and societal benefit to taking advantage of the "green" movement, and using it to strengthen our community.

It recently came to my attention that you have been unable to meet with the Calgary Food Policy Council, a volunteer group which represents the growing interest in Calgary for a stronger foundation of food security. In the past year, the interest in urban agriculture and local food systems has grown. You must be aware of the activity- as the City of Calgary recently approved four new community gardens. We all saw this as an encouraging sign that your office has taken an interest in the longevity of our communities and the stability of our food supply.

I would like to add my voice to what is sure to be a chorus as this movement continues to grow. Food security is important to the people of Calgary. The mayors of Toronto and Vancouver meet with their Food Policy Councils on a regular basis, because the development of a plan for greater health, wellness and security is integral to their roles. It would be most reassuring to see that you feel the same way.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. I hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,

Rachel Simpson
Student, and concerned citizen



I have not been especially involved in the work of the CFPC, but I do think that their organization is important, and I support the work they do. Once again, you can send your email to themayor[at]calgary.ca,

Cheers,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment