Saturday, December 20, 2008

CUA meetup report

This Thursday was our most recent CUA meetup, and I was very pleased to see about a dozen hard core participants come to chat about the latest happenings in Calgary. Thanks to everyone who braved blistering winds and subzero temperatures to show up during the busiest time of the year - your commitment definitely brightened up my day. Also, thanks to Grant for coming, as always, to help with the meeting and to push me into learning how to organize groups on my own.

It's December, and despite the freezing weather, a surprising amount is going on with urban agriculture. There are a lot of plans being made, campaigns being formed, and a great deal of interest in making progress. We met a teacher from Rundle who is planning a garden with students, for example. We discussed the reasons why we thought of urban agriculture as an important movement (which I will talk about in my next post.) There was also interest in the facilitation of some workshops in relation to agriculture, which I will be looking into in the coming months. If you, or someone you know, has some area of knowledge or expertise, please feel free to drop me a line. I like to get teachers and students together.

I'm also looking into getting some small funding, to see if there is more than can be done in that area. As usual - if you have any connections, ideas or plans please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment